10 interesting facts about the sun.
1. The temperature of the solar core is approximately 15 million degrees Celsius.
2. If the Sun were an empty ball, then you would need about a million planets like ours to fill it.
3. In just one second, the Sun converts 4 million tons of matter into pure energy.
4. The sun is not a planet, therefore it has no satellites. At least 8 planets, 5 dwarf planets, tens of thousands of asteroids and from one hundred thousand to three trillion comets and ice bodies revolve around our star.
5. The mass of the Sun is 99.8% of the total mass of the entire solar system.
6. The period of revolution of the Sun around its axis is approximately 27 days.
7. Our star is more massive than the average stars in its neighborhood.
8. If the Sun were the size of a standard front door, the Earth would be about the size of a 5 cent coin.
9. The age of our star is estimated at about 4.6 billion years. The Sun is now approximately in the middle of its life cycle.
10.85% of the stars in our galaxy are stars less bright than the Sun.